Friday, May 27, 2022

Dora in Dhaka

 It's Friday and it's a weekend.

Welcome to Dhaka, where the work week is from Sunday to Thursday. 

It's Day 5 since I have been here.

I had a chance to see a bit of the Banani and Gulshan area on Day 1 when my colleague kindly took me around to some important shops (there is rice! and pork!). 

My though after that quick trip was...

It's chaos. But it's organized chaos which had a rhyme and rhythm to which the locals are dancing to. There is a beat I still have to figure out.

* * * * *

I resolved that today will be Dora day. Dora. The Explorer. Haha.

So Dora, I did.

I just had a general direction, otherwise, let the humid winds take me where it will. 

Crossing the street is an Olympic sport for the newbie Pinoy. It's right-hand drive. So there's much recalibration needed. And not just that, the cars and rickshaws and motorcycles and bicycles keep coming. They never seem to run out. 

One needs agility and a sharp mind to get to the other side. And maybe a prayer before crossing. There were a couple of miscalculations, but I am getting the beat! Albeit still awkward and lacking a local's confidence.

I walked and found another part of a lake beside our office.



It was like our Marikina River, with the 90's smell of the Pasig River.

I decided to put on my mask when I decided to follow the left pathway. I wanted to enjoy my look and the Banani lake does not smell pleasing at all.

I eventually ended up in the big intersection which I already passed a couple of times on a vehicle. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go, so I just crossed a street. The gift of that street is now I know where I can go to exchange money.

Took a turn, and another turn, and then walked onwards. I ended up back to the lake path! Grsh.

I retraced my steps back to the big intersection. I saw this whimsical water reservoir. It made the unexpected backtrack worth it.


Crossed to another street, sure that I am leading away to where I came from. I wanted to go to a particular coffee shop to have my lunch there. 

I thought the path I took led to that. Nope. After many many steps, it was not where I wanted to go. But I now know where the diplomatic zone is. Backtrack again. 

I was left with just one street to go to in that intersection. Crossed the street. Made sure to go along with some locals. Made it! Finally, I am on the busy street that I wanted to see.

I walked on, thinking to end up in that restaurant that I saw the other day. I could not remember it's name, but I was sure it was there. I kept walking and walking. Passed a few interesting places. Bookmarked them in my head for when I walk back. So many steps after, I still haven't found any interesting restaurant. I forgot that the time it took on a vehicle vs. walking would considerably differ in time.

It was 11AM, but I was already hungry. My cereal and fruit breakfast was not enough with the walking and humidity. I decided to walk back and check out that street which had signs of Thai and Chinese restaurants.

I made my way there. Near its entrance was a street vendor selling coffee or tea. There must have been 10 men buying from the vendor. Some were holding these dainty clear cups of what looked like tea with milk, and probably sugar. I would have loved to try it. Except there were no ladies in the group. 

I decided to just proceed to the building which had restaurants. Chinese, Bengali, Thai. Guess what. They open at 12NN. It was 11:20. I had no patience to wait for 40 minutes because my feet were killing me.

The nearest place to eat was Delifrance. I end up at Delifrance. Delifrance. In a foreign country. Sheesh. But I was exhausted and sweaty. I needed to have a walking break. Delifrance.

I stand by the counter. Converted the prices in my head. Not too happy to find out that it is as expensive here as it was back home. Ah well. I order the iced mocha latte and minced beef puff.


To be fair, the minced curry puff was heavier than I expected. The mocha latte was too sweet though. They seem to like their dessert really sweet here.

I stayed for an hour just to rest. Ate my food slowly so I can legitimately stay without getting the stares. 

I got bored of just sitting, so I decided to continue with the exploration.

One thing I noticed in most places is that local transportation would insist that you take a ride. I can't count how many times I have been asked to ride the rickshaw. There were some who would even follow me until I give a third no. Lol. Baka daw nagpapakipot lang ako.

I made my way to a building that had lots of clothing stores. Upon entering, it reminded me of a 5-floor Aldevinco in Davao. The clothes were really noice! This was actually one of the things I love about Dhaka/Bangladesh. The people still wore their traditional clothes. It was more unusual to see people dressed "western". 

I canvassed the wares. Saw a place where I can probably buy traditional clothes for the boys, which they can use during United Nations Day. Or whenever they like. I wasn't sure about the price though, although there were some that I can accommodate with my budget when I'm ready to shop.

After the shop, I thought of going to the dry goods market I saw. When I went, it seemed the some of the shops were already closing. I checked my watch, it was almost 1PM. Prayer time. 

Walked some more. Checked out this palengke of fruits and dry goods. Just went around as some shops were covering their wares. Men were carrying tarpaulins as they made their way out.

Once I got to the street, I saw the men laying their tarpaulins on the street. Some of the men were already on the ground, on their prayer mats, facing the direction of Mecca. Some were already whispering their prayer. The street was closed for them to pray. Wow.

I wanted to take a picture but couldn't bring myself to do it. It felt intrusive. So I stood at a corner for a while and observed this practice. What must have been a usual Friday for them, was an unusual one for me. I felt honored to have witnessed a moment of community, when the bustle of the city can take a moment of silence to give reverence to Allah. While I was not Muslim, I felt my spirit come in contact with my God as well.

After a while, I decided to continue my exploration.

One of my intention for this day was to bring home at least oil and eggs. So I headed to the general direction of the Korean store where I was taken the other day. I didn't go immediately because I wanted to check out a few more places before I call it a day.

But it seemed my legs were screaming for rest again. I saw this Turkish Ice Cream parlor and headed there. I checked the ice cream out. It was the usual flavors. I also saw this dessert called magnolia (not our ice cream). I decided to get the magnolia instead of the ice cream. Because it was cheaper. :P


The magnolia tasted like cream and condensed milk with graham crackers and blueberry syrup. It was soooooo sweet. I should have gotten the ice cream. Now I know that I will not be getting a magnolia should I end up in Turkey. Still I finished it although my pre-diabetic body must be annoyed at me for doing so.

Finally, I decided I should be heading back. Five hours is good enough exploration time.

I pass by the Korean grocery. I wanted eggs and cooking oil. I checked the oil. 665 Taka. Over 300 pesos. For 500ml. Nope. Not buying it. So I didn't get the eggs either.

Continued making my way back. I thought to pass by a random alley. Ended up seeing a shitting cow, a guy with a saw (unrelated things), and a store sign with Fido Dido. Checked a random store for oil. They had oil that was way too much than I needed. Did not buy it.

Saw another building that looked like it had a multitude of things. It did. Cellphone stores. Stationery. Clothes. No oil and no eggs though.

Went inside a store that displayed an interesting outfit. Went in to check out the wares. There was this mumu (which the Bangladesh name I forgot. Darn.) that I actually had the courage to ask the price of. 600 Taka. Yes! Ding ding ding. Price range. The nice man also showed me some other interesting clothes. I asked about another one. 700 Taka. Yey! They will probably be for my sister and mom, but I will wear them first. Lol. He was so nice and friendly and gentle, I'm definitely checking the place out again before I head back home.

After this, there was not much adventure anymore. It was just me trying to make my way home and making sure not to get run over in the process.

Six hours of walking.


Mighty happy with my adventure. :)

0 comments: